Friday, July 29, 2011

CRY BABY

Here’s a question for you:  What is the strongest little thing on the face of the planet?  Answer—a baby. 

Who else but a baby can bring a 300 lb. man to his knees without even striking a blow?  Who can take an otherwise noisy room and quiet it with his own scream?  Who has the power to cause others to walk on eggshells, while he himself isn’t even yet able to walk?  The baby has many weapons in his repertoire, but the most powerful is his cry.

As children of God, our cry is one of our most effective weapons too, and we have great peace in knowing that our Father hears us when we cry out to Him.

If there’s anything we cry about as believers (when we’re not crying out to Him), it’s the hypocrisy and lying of others.  David addresses this in verses 3-5 of Psalm 28. 

These are those that say “peace” to their neighbors, but their thoughts and actions tell another story, and the Psalmist takes great delight in asking God to destroy these sorts because they exalt themselves over God—doing things their way instead of His. 

David finishes the psalm by thanking God for His amazing watch care over him.  The songwriter is so pleased, he declares his appreciation in song.  When we cry out, we command God’s attention, but we never get Him to do for us what He wouldn’t already have done.

Some cry out in song, while others sing bad enough to make people cry.  Whatever the response of man’s ears to man’s cries , when we call out to the universe’s Creator we have an appreciative audience, who fills us with peace by the deliverance He exacts for us.

b(Les)sings

New King James Version (NKJV)

Psalm 28

A Psalm of David.
 1 To You I will cry, O LORD my Rock:
         Do not be silent to me,
         Lest, if You are silent to me,
         I become like those who go down to the pit.
 2 Hear the voice of my supplications
         When I cry to You,
         When I lift up my hands toward Your holy sanctuary.
       
 3 Do not take me away with the wicked
         And with the workers of iniquity,
         Who speak peace to their neighbors,
         But evil is in their hearts.
 4 Give them according to their deeds,
         And according to the wickedness of their endeavors;
         Give them according to the work of their hands;
         Render to them what they deserve.
 5 Because they do not regard the works of the LORD,
         Nor the operation of His hands,
         He shall destroy them
         And not build them up.
       
 6 Blessed be the LORD,
         Because He has heard the voice of my supplications!
 7 The LORD is my strength and my shield;
         My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;
         Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,
         And with my song I will praise Him.
       
 8 The LORD is their strength,
[a]
         And He is the saving refuge of His anointed.
 9 Save Your people,
         And bless Your inheritance;
         Shepherd them also,
         And bear them up forever.
Footnotes:
  1. Psalm 28:8 Following Masoretic Text and Targum; Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate read the strength of His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment